Sometimes you just need a little bite of sweetness to coax you out of bed in the morning. These lovely little nibbles will do just that. And, since they are made with a bit of Greek yogurt, you’ll be getting an extra bit of protein (just forget about that stick of butter).
Orange-Fig Mini Muffins
Makes about 48 mini muffins
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried figs, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a mini muffin pan with paper liners and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric mixer. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Mix in the vanilla and Greek yogurt.
2. In a medium bow, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
3. Fold in the figs and orange zest. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pans filling three-quarters of the way. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack for cooling and repeat until all muffins are made.
SWWU Tip: Substitute 1 tablespoon lemon zest instead or orange zest for a different flavor.