Peas don’t get enough respect. The simple little spears can offer a pop of color and fresh flavor to any meal, especially this time of year. What’s not to love? Brian and I recently whipped up this simple side for a recent dinner party and have been craving more of it for the last few weeks. Make some and see for yourself!
Pea Salad with Lemon Buttermilk Dressing and Crispy Bacon
Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound snow peas, ends trimmed
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, ends trimmed
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fruity olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the snow peas and snap peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add the frozen peas and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer all three to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process and set aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, olive oil, mayonnaise and lemon juice until well combined. Add the lemon zest, parsley and salt. Taste and adjust ingredients accordingly.
4. Toss peas in dressing and top with cooked bacon.